High-performance computing (HPC) is an important consideration for academia. Complex research projects can involve simulating large assemblies, even entire systems, which requires far greater computational resources and accuracy. The widespread availability of multi-core processors, even in laptops, allows for impressive performance gains on medium- to large-problem sizes. The ANSYS Academic products provide two levels of HPC:
- Built-in HPC: HPC capability is built into each task of the Academic base licenses. For Structural,Thermal & Fluid Dynamics Academic products this is both shared & distributed memory HPC capability for up to four cores, plus GPU access is enabled for ANSYS Mechanical solvers. For RF & Electromagnetics product the built-in capability is shared memory only.
- Add-on HPC: The built-in HPC capability can be extended by purchasing additional ANSYS Academic HPC licenses. For Structural, Thermal and Fluid Dynamics Academic products both shared & distributed memory HPC capability can be extended. For RF and Electromagnetics Academic Products the add-on capability only enables the ANSYS HFSS Distributed Domain solver.
The following table table illustrates the Academic products with their corresponding HPC options:
|Can extend HPC
|ANSYS Academic Associate||YES||YES|
|ANSYS Academic Associate CFD||YES||YES|
|ANSYS Academic Associate HF||YES||NO2|
|ANSYS Academic Associate EM||YES||NO|
|ANSYS Academic Research||YES||YES|
|ANSYS Academic Research Mechanical||YES||YES|
|ANSYS Academic Research CFD||YES||YES|
|ANSYS Academic Research Autodyn||YES||YES|
|ANSYS Academic Research Electronics Thermal||YES||YES|
|ANSYS Academic Research Offshore/Marine1||NO||NO|
|ANSYS Academic Research Polyflow||YES||YES|
|ANSYS Academic Research LS-DYNA||NO||N/A|
|ANSYS Academic Research HF||YES||NO2|
|ANSYS Academic Research EM||YES||NO|
|ANSYS Academic Teaching Advanced||YES||NO|
|ANSYS Academic Teaching Introductory||YES||NO|
|ANSYS Academic Teaching Mechanical||YES||NO|
|ANSYS Academic Teaching CFD||YES||NO|
|ANSYS Academic Teaching HF||YES||NO|
|ANSYS Academic Teaching EM||YES||NO|
|ANSYS Academic Meshing Tools||N/A||N/A|
|ANSYS Academic CFD Turbo Tools||N/A||N/A|
|ANSYS Academic Fuel Cell Tools||N/A||N/A|
Loading Content. Please wait
All of the ANSYS Academic Structural, Thermal, Fluid Dynamics products that support HPC have four core HPC capability per task built in. This capability is allocated/restricted to each task. For example, for a 25-task license of Academic Research, each user/task can access up to four cores, with a maximum of 4 cores available per solution.
All of the ANSYS Academic RF and Electromagnetics product solvers that support shared memory parallel (SMP) HPC have four core shared memory parallel (SMP) HPC capability per task built in. This capability is allocated/restricted to each task. For example, for a 25-task license of Academic Research EM, each user/task can access up to four SMP cores, with a maximum of 4 SMP cores available per solution. Note that for HFSS, this built-in SMP HPC capability cannot be used for spectral sweep, integral equation (IE) or domain decomposition method (DDM) solvers. Please also see the Add-on HPC section below.
4 core SMP & DMP HPC built-in for these solvers:
4 core SMP HPC built-in for these solvers:
- ANSYS HFSS (all solvers apart from domain decomposition method, spectral sweep and integral equation)
- ANSYS Maxwell (all Maxwell 2D & 3D solvers/simulation types)
Built-in 4 core HPC allows:
All ANSYS Academic Research and ANSYS Academic Associate products can extend their built-in HPC capability with add-on HPC licenses:
- Research customers can add on more HPC via ANSYS Academic Research HPC licenses.
- Associate customers can add on more HPC via ANSYS Academic Associate HPC licenses.
One task of ANSYS Academic Research/Associate HPC extends the base HPC ability of any one of the physics that supports HPC that is contained in the base product. Each task adds another core.
For Structural, Thermal & Fluid Dynamics Academic products both shared & distributed memory HPC capability can be extended with our “physics neutral” HPC add-on products called ANSYS Academic Research HPC and ANSYS Academic Associate HPC. These products are sold per task and extend the HPC capability of the following solvers:
For RF & Electromagnetics Academic Products the "add-on" HPC capability enables the ANSYS HFSS domain decomposition method solver, and also allows the following solvers to run in parallel: spectral sweep and integral equation (IE) solver. The add-on products are called ANSYS Academic Research HPC HF and ANSYS Academic Associate HPC HF. The “HF” postscript identifies the fact that these add-on HPC products only apply to the HFSS “HF” solver.